Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Leadership and character is caught not taught

Not much sleep and I've got a packed weekend but I was up bright and early this past Saturday morning because there was no way I was missing Doug Smith speak on leadership at the inaugural L3 Leadership- Beaver meeting! One of my biggest take-aways was that *Leadership and character are CAUGHT not TAUGHT*! It is so important to me that I'm constantly surrounding myself with people who are better than me in various ways so that I can learn and grow as a person. THAT is why I'm willing to drive an hour out of my way for an early Saturday morning meeting when it would have been very easy to sleep in. I am so grateful for L3 Leadership (these breakfast meetings and our small group mastermind sessions). I love that the people I have met are willing to lead by example of their high character, support me in my growth, generously pour into me, challenge me and call me out ("feedback is the breakfast of champions!" - Doug Smith), stretch me, and give me loving encouragement the whole way. For example, Pastor Larry Bettencourt who had just met me today spent lots of time before and after the meeting answering my questions and speaking to me about how to handle certain leadership challenges that come with managing a team of people with varying levels of readiness to move up and even gave me useful, practical examples of ways in which he has dealt with that. Doug Smith gave a phenomenal amount of value in his talk today. And I got the privilege of meeting new leaders and connecting with some of the incredible people I have gotten really close with over the last 6 months who are always so caring and supportive.  That is the value that can come to your life when you are WILLING to go all-in! Be fearless in pursuit of your own growth!!

I feel the same way about friendships! One of my best friends, Nikki Watson, has been a great partner in my personal and spiritual growth over the past couple years. In this video, we talk about how to cultivate intentional, expansive relationships like this in your life!



2 comments:

  1. You've a fascinating blog. And Congratulations, This blog post has been featured in my blog. I'm a life coach blogger and my hobby is to read, hand pick and honor bloggers who write on self help topics that include personal, social and leadership skills. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @lifecoachbloger Google+, +sridharchandrasekaran. In Twitter and Google Plus, I follow focused self help authors, who are bloggers like you who share and exchange best practices relating to self help topics and blogging. I kindly request you to include any of my posts in your blog if you find it interesting and let me know. That way we can help our visitors enhance their knowledge through our focused niche self-help topics. Looking forward to build a long term blogging relationship with you. -Sridhar Chandrasekaran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I appreciate you reaching out!

      Delete