Friday, January 1, 2016

Hammer and Chisel Review!!

I’ve started to write this review of Hammer and Chisel several times and each time, I had to revise based on a new workout I did and a new impression of the program that I got! I’m 2 weeks into the program and haven’t even gotten to all the workouts yet! With 15 different workouts in this 8-week program, there is a TON of variety. Half the workouts are taught by Sagi Kalev (creator of the Body Beast program); half are taught by Autumn Calabrese (creator of 21 Day Fix). Most of the workouts are total-body workouts, but all in very different styles. I love that most of the workouts use weights- strength training is very effective for leaning out my body and they plyo and cardio workouts are more effective because the weights make the moves more challenging. A lot of the workouts go by reps (rather than timed duration of the exercise) which I like because psychologically the workout passes more quickly for me.


Equipment needed:
Weights, pull-up bar, bench, and resistance band. I don’t have a bench so depending on the exercise, I used either a stability ball, a chair, a step stool, or the floor modification as shown in the workout videos. I don’t have a pull-up bar, but rigged up some resistance bands over my door hooks to create a lat pull-down.


What’s included:
Here’s my  friend and fellow coach, Alyx, unboxing her Hammer and Chisel program and explaining what all comes with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOEUpzsDbo . She got the deluxe edition; I only got the base edition (but she explains the differences in each package).


Schedule and workout times:
If you’re like me and like to know what you’re getting yourself into, here’s the schedule of all of the workouts and the duration of each one! No workout is repeated more than 5 times; most are only 3-4 times in the whole 8 weeks. Like I said, tons of variety!

 


My results so far:
I started this program mid-December and was determined to stick with it through the holidays. I’m so glad I did!! I felt great through the holidays despite indulging in bigger family meals. The tough workout each morning really set the tone for each day- I felt stronger and more energized and it helped motivate me to keep my nutrition in check (relatively speaking, given that it was the holidays). I actually felt better AFTER the holidays than I did going into it! Thank you, Autumn and Sagi!!! I’m really looking forward to seeing where my results are after the 8 weeks!


Workout previews:
I recorded clips of some of the workouts and posted my individual review of each:


First Hammer and Chisel preview workout in the books! Workout was fast and effective and I loved the format!! Each move was broken down into 3 stopping points for 10 reps then an additional 10 reps at a fast pace. I also really liked the warm-up with the bands (lower left)- the stretch felt great!!


Hammer and Chisel preview #2! Today's workout was a slightly different format. Each round was 10 reps of 3 different exercises, cycled through 3 times. There were 3 rounds total in the workout. Felt so good to be back to some lifting! I love challenging myself with heavier weights- my heart was pounding!! I can't wait for this program to come out in December!!!


With 15 different workouts and each workout being a different format, every day is a surprise with Hammer and Chisel! I loved the format of Iso Strength Chisel. I kept thinking each move would be easy but by the end of the 10 reps - hold for 10 seconds - 10 reps -hold for 10 seconds - 10 reps - hold for 10 seconds pattern, I was dying!! These Bulgarian squats had my butt on fire haha!!


Super proud moment for me during my workout- somewhere in the midst of Chisel Cardio, I realized that despite it being a tough workout, I was able to do every move! Moves that involve lower body have always been my strong point- those feel even more kicka$$ now. Moves that involve my upper body that I used to struggle with, I now feel really confident with (these sword pulls may look easy but I was never able to do moves like that for long without my shoulders fatiguing)! And moves like this plank/oblique kick that I used to dread because they were so challenging, I'm now ready to tackle head-on for the full minute! Overall, it makes the workout a lot more enjoyable- it took a lot of work but I feel ready to tackle just about anything in a workout now. And that realization of the mental and physical shift made me really excited!
As we approach the end of the year, it's a great time for us all to focus on the progress we've made and to get excited about the things that we used to struggle with that we now feel incredibly confident in handling (like a boss)!! Merry Christmas and happy new year, all!


How to buy:
Hammer and Chisel Challenge Pack (also comes with a full supply of Shakeology, free shipping, and a month free of Beachbody on Demand where you can stream any of our workout programs): https://www.teambeachbody.com/en_US/checkout/-/bbcheckout/challengepack/hammer-chisel?referringRepId=183908



Disclaimer Copy: Katelyn Lesk is an Independent Beachbody Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment