Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Zucchini Pasta with Homemade Sauce

One of my favorite recipes! Growing up, I always assumed pasta sauce HAD to come from a jar, or at the very least, be made using canned tomato paste. I love this recipe because I can control exactly what’s going into my sauce (no added sugar like most jarred pasta sauces, including organic ones) and the flavor is absolutely incredible! The sauce recipe is based loosely on a recipe from my beloved Kris Carr’s, “Crazy Sexy Kitchen” cookbook, which is amazing!!

Ever since going gluten-free in August of 2014, it’s been great to have this recipe that makes me feel like I’m still eating some of my favorite foods. In fact, I like it BETTER! And I feel great at the end of the meal (not stuffed like after wheat-based noodles). Delicious and nutritious!

I typed the recipe below but full demo can be found on my YouTube channel:

Zucchini Pasta and Homemade Sauce
Serves 4

Pasta:
3-4 medium zucchinis (thin works best if using a Veggeti)
minced garlic (optional)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil


Use a Vegetti (or other veggie spiralizer) to make zucchini noodles
Add olive oil (approx 1 Tbsp) to a pan over medium heat
Optional: add minced garlic to the pan
Saute' zucchini noodles to desired noodle texture
If there is extra liquid in pan (from the zucchini), drain noodles

Sauce:
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
minced garlic (optional)
1/2 medium onion cut into chunks (optional)
3-4 fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks
spices such as red pepper flakes, oregano, Himalayan sea salt, pepper
fresh basil (optional)

Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat
If using garlic and/or onions, add to pan for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent. I also add some red pepper flakes to the pan at this time to release extra flavor
Add tomatoes and desired spices (I go heavy on the oregano and I also add additional red pepper flakes if I'd like it to be extra spicy)
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/burning
Add additional spices as needed
Time of cooking depends on desired consistency. I like my sauce to be really thick so I usually simmer it for about 40 minutes
The last 2-3 minutes of cooking I will add fresh basil if I have it

Pour sauce over veggie pasta, add Parmesan cheese if desired, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment