Thursday, March 12, 2015

Be your own food advocate!

I have learned this lesson time and time again (even before I had food sensitivities and just wanted to make sure I was getting something healthy): how IMPORTANT it is to speak up, ask questions, and ask for modifications at restaurants. You are paying for the food and service, you DESERVE to get it in a way that meets your needs!

I learned the hard way at Bahama Breeze that grilled fish doesn't necessarily mean healthy food. A few years ago we would go there for lunch at work and I couldn't figure out why the plain (no dressing!) salmon salad was making me feel so yucky until one day, out of suspicion that they might be marinating it or cooking it in oils that didn't agree with me, I asked for TRULY plain fish. The salmon looked and tasted completely different (it actually tasted better in my opinion) and I left feeling great.

Ever since then, I've learned to ask questions of even the seemingly healthiest things on the menu.

Today, I was at Islamorada (on vacation in Myrtle Beach) and while I was disheartened to hear that the innocent-looking grilled fish was cooked in butter, our waitress was kind enough to bring out the restaurant manager who was SUPER friendly, was able to tell me every little ingredient in the food, cooked my food personally (with salt and pepper only per his suggestion), it was fantastic, I felt good, and all were happy.

So while you think you may be the "pain in the butt" customer, any quality restaurant is going to be happy to do what they can to oblige your dietary needs and it's a win-win for everyone. I'd happily come here again and recommend it to all of you!! Plus, how are restaurants going to know what the people want and make adjustments to their menus in the future to reflect that unless we speak up??

I REALLY appreciated how they bent over backwards to make sure the food was what I needed and were friendly and enthusiastic about it the whole time! So for those of you who may be nervous to speak up, the positive outcome may just surprise you (or blow you away like it did for me tonight)!


*Update as of 7/9/16*
*Restaurant tip*

Yesterday at lunch I ordered the seafood pasta (minus the pasta since I can't have gluten). They use vegetables instead and it's absolutely delicious. I've done this at a few other places with the seafood pasta. It always comes out a little different based on what veggies they use but I honestly think it tastes better than if it were made with pasta (plus I feel WAY better after)!


This was at The Fish Market but I know other restaurants do this as well. Carmella's does this for me with several of their pastas.

Never be afraid to ask if you want something healthier! Your body will thank you for it!



I would be honored to help you with your fitness journey :)  Here is a link to sign up for a free account with me as your coach: https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=183908. Or you can go to www.teambeachbody.com, sign up for a free account, and enter any of my info in when it asks if a coach referred you: screen name: KatelynLesk, coach ID: 183908

Disclaimer Copy: Katelyn Lesk is an Independent Beachbody Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment